Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post How to start the lightstreamer server locally and configuring it on windows platform?

please provide an update on how to start the lightstreamer server locally and also help in configuring it!

Administrator
    Hi Vinayak Singh,

Detailed instructions for a quick setup of Lightstreamer server are contained in the file GETTING_STARTED.TXT that you can find in the Lightstreamer home directory.
    Anyway, for a brief recap; first, you'll need to download the Lightstreamer server from the official website (https://www.lightstreamer.com/download/). Once you have downloaded the server, you can follow these steps to start it locally:

1. Extract the contents of the downloaded file to a directory of your choice.
    2. Configure Java. If a JAVA_HOME variable is not available in your environment, edit the "LS.bat" file under the "bin\windows" directory and set JAVA_HOME according to the Java SE installations available.
    3. Open a command prompt or terminal window and navigate to the "bin\windows" directory of the Lightstreamer server.
    4. Run the command "Start_LS_as_Application.bat". There are also the "Stop_LS_as_Application.bat" and "Restart_LS_as_Application.bat" to stop and restart your Lightstreamer server.
    4b. We also provide (in the same folder "bin\windows") the scripts to configure the Ligthstreamer server as a Windows service: "Install_LS_as_Service-NT.bat" and "Uninstall_LS_as_Service-NT.bat".
    The Lightstreamer server will start and begin listening for connections on port 8080 by default.

That's it! You now have a running instance of the Lightstreamer server on your local machine.
    To configure the Lightstreamer server, you can modify the "lightstreamer_conf.xml" file located in the "conf" directory of the server.
    This file contains various configuration options for the server and there are inline comments providing documentation related to each parameter.

Please let us know if you need any further clarifications.

Regards,
    Giuseppe

Thank you for your reply giuseppe, i have already done that. Now i want to run the server directly thorough local host or through the java file like setting up a remote server without using the command "Start_LS_as_Application.bat"

Administrator
    Hi Vinayak Singh,

Sorry, but I'm not sure I understand what exactly your needs are.

The minimal command to launch the Ligthstreamer server without use one of our scripts is:
    1. Open a command prompt or terminal window and navigate to the home directory of the Lightstreamer server.
    2. Run the command "java -cp "lightstreamer.jar;lib/*;lib/log/*;lib/core/*;lib/adapters/*;lib/proxy/*" com.lightstreamer.LS conf\lightstreamer_conf.xml" to start the server.
    3. The Lightstreamer server will start and begin listening for connections on port 8080 by default.

In any case, please go through the LS.bat command file in "bin\windows", to double check all the system and environment configuration we apply.

But I don't know if this is what you really wanted to know, or maybe you needed more information on the possibility of launching Lightstreamer as a windows service or as a docker image.

Regards,
    Giuseppe

Hi Giuseppe

I just wanted to make things clear to you that I want to run my project using lightstreamer where I want to use maven to build my project and upon building i want use the lightstreamer remotely if the project can trigger the server client request using lightstreamer remotely.

If u know how to setup the lightstramer server within the server and upon running the project the lightstreamer server goes online please let me know about the configuration and commands.

Regards,
    Vinayak singh

Administrator
    Hi Vinayak Singh,

A typical deployment scenario of an application that uses Lightstreamer for real-time data is the one shown here:

https://github.com/Lightstreamer/Lig...t-architecture

The Lightstreamer server is placed in a wider architecture and generally interacts with system, network, etc. components. which can be the most varied from case to case.
    In particular, as regards the development of code, an integrator must develop both server-side components, a Data Adapter that will interface with the data source from the back-end and the Metadata Adapter that will interface with the authentication and authorization systems.
    And client side components integrating Lightstreamer client libraries available in data applications that want to consume real-time data.

Furthermore, the Lightstreamer server must be configured according to the type of architecture present; for example if it has to manage the TLS directly or there is an offloading mechanism, if there is a cluster of multiple instances or just one, ...

So, there are no standard mechanisms that perform configuration and deployment of the Lightstreamer server; but they must be customized and integrated according to the existing scenario.

Regards,
    Giuseppe

Hi Giuseppe

I just wanted to know that the HelloWorld java project of lightstreamer, can i use maven and build it and if so then how is it possible to directly

build it and run it without starting the server manually but starting it locally on the localhost port 8080?

Here;s the link to java server - https://github.com/Lightstreamer/Lig...d-adapter-java

And for the client side - https://github.com/Lightstreamer/Lig...ent-javascript

Regards
    Vinayak

Administrator
    Hi Vinayak,

With the pom file provided in the Helloworld Java project you can only build the jar of the demo: mvn package.

In order to deploy your jar and run the demo you have to follow the install instructions provided in the section: https://github.com/Lightstreamer/Lig...r-java#install
    To automate the steps necessary to update the demo, basically just copy the jar obtained under the <LS_HOME>/adapters/HellowWorld/lib folder and launch the Lightstreamer server you have several alternatives.
    For example, you could create your own script that performs these operations which could also be called directly from maven with the exec plugin.

Regards,
    Giuseppe

Hi Giuseppe,

On the Helloworld Java lightstreamer project when i am building it using maven by typing "mvn package".It is building the target folder. But on running the jar fil created in it.It is showing "no main manifest attribute, in example-helloworld-adapter-java-0.0.1-SNAPSHOT.jar".

It is not creating the MANIFEST.MF file by itself. Is there a issue with the pom.xml? Please assist me building this project with maven and running it.

I am using maven 3.8.1 and java jdk 17 on my pc.

Regards
    Vinayak

Last edited by vinayak singh; February 21st, 2023 at 09:31 AM.

Administrator
    Hi Vinayak,

The "Hello World Tutorial - Java Adapter" project target is to create an In-process Data Adapter.
    This type of adapters do not provide the possibility of being launched as stand alone applications, but to be deployed onto a Lightstreamer server and run within the same process as the Java Virtual Machine running the Lightstreamer Server.
    For this reason it makes no sense to set-up a pom file in order to create a jar with the manifest and the startup class, designed to be launched as a stand-alone program.
    Please let me stress out that this kind of adapter must be deployed by creating a special folder inside the 'LS_HOME/adapters' in which to copy a configuration file (adapters.xml) alongside all the various jars needed by the adapter.
    Then it will be necessary to launch the Lightstreamer server which in turn will start up all the adapters set.

Please note that there is another type of adapter, called Remote adapters.
    These actually have to be launched autonomously and separately from the Lightstreamer server. For more details about these adapters you can start looking here: https://cdn.lightstreamer.com/distro...astructure.pdf

Regards,
    Giuseppe