Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by lxnay
    Thanks for your patience,
    I just reviewed your changes and didn't see anything that could cause the freeze on the connection attempt (the socket in use is a blocking socket, hence the freeze if the server cannot be reached, until timeout, which is set at ~30 seconds by default).
    I have two suspects by the way:
    1. The server cannot be reached, might be some firewall? Can you reach the server from the browser (just connect to the same URL)
    The server is definitely reachable. I can connect manually via http as well as other lightstreamer clients are using this server. We have a second server in a different data center as well that I can reach via HTTP but I see the same behavior with the RTD server as the primary (hangs in connect, no traffic going to the server in wireshark).

2. More probable: you are not using your re-compiled .dll. You probably installed the demo and your Visual Studio is not overriding registry settings created by the demo installation. This is easy to fix, just open the registry editor (regedit) and look for the following keys:

- HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{2368E0E6-1ED6-3C39-8FAE-45B4A9FB53F3}\InprocServer32\CodeBase
    - HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{2368E0E6-1ED6-3C39-8FAE-45B4A9FB53F3}\InprocServer32\1.0.0.0\CodeBase

[or just search through the whole registry for RTDLibraryExcelDemo.dll]

Make sure to overwrite the .dll at the path contained in the keys above or provide a valid path to your .dll by changing those default values.
    I can say with 100% certainty that the modified DLL is loading. I've modified the output to the status window to reflect where it is connecting to:

flowForm.AppendExcelLog("Connecting to " + pushServerUrl);

Any modifications like this are present in the GUI window after a recompile and subsequent load of the spreadsheet. You can see the screenshot for the new output.
    NEW MODIFICATION was added to the output string. I then recompiled, moved the dll and reloaded the spreadsheet. The changes are definitely reflected in the new window that opens.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RTD-1.png 
Views:	652 
Size:	26.2 KB 
ID:	93  

krohnjw,
    out of curiosity, does the demo work using push.lightstreamer.com?
    I'll be back to you shortly.

krohnjw,
    out of curiosity, does the demo work using push.lightstreamer.com?
    I'll be back to you shortly.
    Yes, it does.

krohnjw,
    to me, there might be two reasons:

- the most obvious: connectivity issues (firewall with DROP policy, etc) that make the UI freeze (UI thread is the same of Excel RTD thread, at the moment)
    - more sneaky: an uncaught exception is generated at:
    Code:
    new ThreadStart(delegate() { lsClient.Start(pushServerUrl); }).Invoke();
    Try to replace it with something like:
    Code:
    new ThreadStart(delegate() { try { lsClient.Start(pushServerUrl); } catch (Exception e) { flowForm.AppendExcelLog(e.Message); }; }).Invoke();

- more sneaky: an uncaught exception is generated at:
    Code:
    new ThreadStart(delegate() { lsClient.Start(pushServerUrl); }).Invoke();

Try to replace it with something like:
    Code:
    new ThreadStart(delegate() { try { lsClient.Start(pushServerUrl); } catch (Exception e) { flowForm.AppendExcelLog(e.Message); }; }).Invoke();
    No exception thrown - continues to hang and excel eventually thows an alert that it's waiting for an OLE operation to complete.

- the most obvious: connectivity issues (firewall with DROP policy, etc) that make the UI freeze (UI thread is the same of Excel RTD thread, at the moment)
    Again, there is no firewall up and running. I can connect to both servers without a problem via the javascript library from this machine (Win 7 64 bit). If I run a ping or connect via HTTP I see the traffic fine in wireshark. However, with the RTD demo I continue to see not a single packet headed to the server.

Is there a significant difference in how this connects from the javascript library that would allow it to work fine using HTTP/Javascript but the connect from the .NET environment would fail?

The Javascript library is different from the .NET library, but the way they use the network is the same.
    If, using wireshark, you don't see anything on the NIC while the RTD app loads and tries to connect, this, would make me think that there is some local application that is blocking the outgoing packets. Even if it wouldn't explain why everything works with push.lightstreamer.com.
    Could you double check that there is no local firewall even? (Windows Firewall? Try to turn it off just in case).
    At the same time, could you, through support@lightstreamer.com provide us some valid credentials that we can use to connect to your server through the RTD library, if possible?

Regards.

The Javascript library is different from the .NET library, but the way they use the network is the same.
    If, using wireshark, you don't see anything on the NIC while the RTD app loads and tries to connect, this, would make me think that there is some local application that is blocking the outgoing packets. Even if it wouldn't explain why everything works with push.lightstreamer.com.
    Could you double check that there is no local firewall even? (Windows Firewall? Try to turn it off just in case).
    Already done - both the Windows firewall and all 3 party products have been disabled for the duration of testing.

At the same time, could you, through support@lightstreamer.com provide us some valid credentials that we can use to connect to your server through the RTD library, if possible?

Regards.
    Sent

Thanks,
    at my first attempt, the application is able to connect and communicate with your server. I have a further request though, could you send us the Excel file you're using?

Regards.

Thanks,
    at my first attempt, the application is able to connect and communicate with your server. I have a further request though, could you send us the Excel file you're using?

Regards.
    Well, that's good news. Sent as requested.

I confirm. With the information you gave us, I am able to communicate with your server, which just answers: "Requested Adapter Set not available", which confirms that the communication is successful, without blocking the UI.