Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Adapter ports not up

Hi guys,

We are having a weird issue with adapter ports on our Lightstreamer server.

Basically we have setup a data adapter running on "request_reply_port" 9000 & "notify_port" 9001. When we first start up the server, we could see the ports being open. But after our client side code (j2ee) making a connection request, the server would stop listening to those ports.
    This suddenly started happening today. And we could find no error message in lightstreamer logs.

Can you please help us?

Could it be that if more than one connection attempts are being made to the server at one time, it brings down the ports?
    We might have more than one threads trying to connect to those ports at the same.

Power Member
    hi,

that sounds strange to me,
    which adapter are you using: the "Robust" version or the simple one?

if possible may you show me your server log?

Thank you for your reply Mone.

We are using RobustNetworkedDataProvider
    Here is the config
    Code:
    <?xml version="1.0"?>
    <adapters_conf id="AUS">
        <metadata_provider><adapter_class>com.lightstreamer.adapters.metadata.LiteralBasedProvider</adapter_class>
        </metadata_provider>
        <data_provider name="AUS_ADAPTER_1"><adapter_class>com.lightstreamer.adapters.remote.data.RobustNetworkedDataProvider</adapter_class>
            <param name="request_reply_port">9000</param>
            <param name="notify_port">9001</param>
            <param name="timeout">30000</param>
            <param name="events_recovery">use_snapshot</param>
        </data_provider>
    </adapters_conf>
    The server log is over 2gb in size from yesterday. I will find a way to get a segment of it.

btw, I'm getting a "delivery failed" when sending an email to support@lightstreamer.com. Is that email still in use?

Hi Mone,

You can download the server log from here

The log file when unzipped is about 677MB in size. They are from yesterday between 12:00 and 13:00.

btw, we've turned on DEBUG logging briefly at around 12:15.

Thank you for your help.

Power Member
    Hi,

I can't download the file (I get a timeout error), btw I was expecting something a lot smaller just showing the issue.

the support@lightstreamer.com address is still active but does not support such big attachments; may you please check that the the size of the attachment was the reason for the failed delivery?

Power Member
    also, the correspondent snippet of the log on the adapter side may be useful too.

Hi Mone,

Sorry about the massive log file. Please see the attached a much smaller version.

I had another look in the log. I found some interesting error message right after the server restarted. This is also when another server responsible for updating data started making multiple connection attempts to LS server. And I started seeing this error message popping up.
    Code:
    ERROR|LightstreamerLogger.connections  |NIO ACCEPT SELECTOR        |Accept error on socket Lightstreamer HTTP Server
    Then over time, it becomes more and more frequent. At one point, the message would repeat over 40 times within a second. (see the end of after_restart.log)

The other log file attached contains logs with DEBUG turned on. I was hoping this could give more insight on what was happening.

Really appreciate your time on this one. We are very puzzled...

Cheers,
    William
    Attached Files Attached Files

Power Member
    hi,

A
    are you on windows or linux? The last time I've seen a "Accept error on socket Lightstreamer HTTP Server" error was on a linux machine: an ineffective ulimit call led to the exhaustion of the number of open files (sockets are considered as open files on the system configurations). What is strange is that the exception associated with the error is not logged as I would expect. (you can check the limits on a linux machine calling ulimit -a ). Also windows probably has a limit somewhere (register?).

B
    Could it be that if more than one connection attempts are being made to the server at one time, it brings down the ports?
    I'm not sure about this. The proxy data adapter expects one connection (per port) only for sure, but I don't think it will close everything down if a second request arrives. Unfortunately the guy who wrote the remote adapter is out of office until the the 9th of august. I may check the sources for confirmation in case A does not explain the issue.
    Btw did you implemet the ARI protocol or did you use our .NET remote adapters?

Administrator
    On point B, I confirm that the Proxy Adapter on the Server opens each of the configured ports to accept a single connection, then it stops accepting connections on the port.
    Multiple remote counterparts talking to the same Proxy Adapter are not supported.
    In case of a Robust Proxy Adapter, when a recovery is needed, the ports are reopened.