Read and display items from XML

Hi,

Currently, I am trying to do a dynamic HTML page that retrieves the items list from an XML file, display them in the HTML page and subscribe to them in a java adapter. So far all the examples hardcodes the list of items (at least those i've seen) on the HTML page. I am rather new to LS so it will be really helpful if someone can advise on this!

thanks in advance!

Administrator
    We should distinguish between the subscription stuff and the visualization stuff.

The subscription request consists of creating a Table object and issuing addTable.
    If you use a NonVisualTable, this is entirely dynamical and just requires you to know the items and fields to be subscribed to at the time of subscription.
    Then, your code will take care of showing the values on the page.

On the other hand, if you want to take advantage of a VisualTable, then you have to provide suitable "cells" on the page, to allow the visual table to display the values.
    Even in this case, you don't need to hardcode the cells in the page; you should just have them available at the time of subscription.

One of our online demos, the grid demo, shows dynamical creation of subscriptions and related cells.
    In that case, any time the scrollbar is moved, the page is modified by adding some cells and removing others. Note that the behavior is more complex than in your case.
    You can grab the source through the browser.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by chewjq
    So far all the examples hardcodes the list of items (at least those i've seen) on the HTML page.
    The Portfolio Demo shows how to dynamically push the list of items too.