Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Reconnection attempts fail

Hi,

Since the Silverlight API does not provide the LSProxy class, I'm implementing a mechanism that automatically reconnect my application to the Lightstreamer server in case the connection drops. Currently I'm doing this by periodically trying to reconnect to the server. It works quite fine in case the connection is lost after it is established.

However, my client code is able only to re-establish a connection only if the very first connection attempt is successful. If it's not (like when the Lightstreamer server is not running when the first connection is attempted), then all subsequent connection attempts will fail; the only way to connect again to the Lightstreamer server is to restart the client.

Is that a known problem with the Siilverlight API? What further information can I provide you to help you diagnosing the problem?

Regards,
    Emilio Bova

PS
    Will the LSProxy class be ported to Silverlight? It would provide all the functionalities I need to implement.

Power Member
    Hi,

that's an issue with Silverlight. The problem is that if the silverlight engine does not receive the clientaccesspolicy.xml file the fist time it tries to download it, then it will never try again to download it assuming that it has no permission to connect (you can see that if the server is down the exception thrown is security related).
    A workaround could be to have some aliases for the server machine and then, if a connection fails due to security problems, try with a different alias.

HTH

Hi Mone,

Thanks for your answer... I suspected as much, since I observed that in the faulty case, no requests were sent from the Silverlight API on the net.

However, googling around I found this post
    http://forums.silverlight.net/forums...93/263003.aspx

At the very bottom, it is stated that the bug has been fixed in Silverlight 4 RC, so I'd expect the fix to be in the RTM version.

Will a Lightstreamer API that targets Silverlight 4 be released?

Regards,
    Emilio Bova

Administrator
    Emilio,

Thanks for pointing out that link.

Regarding Silverlight 4, we will be running some tests with Lightstreamer in the next few weeks. By the way, have you already had a chance to test our current API against Silverlight 4?

Ciao e grazie,
    Alessandro

Quote Originally Posted by Alessandro
    Emilio,

Thanks for pointing out that link.

Regarding Silverlight 4, we will be running some tests with Lightstreamer in the next few weeks. By the way, have you already had a chance to test our current API against Silverlight 4?

Ciao e grazie,
    Alessandro
    Not yet, but I'll be doing it (hopefully) soon.
    I'll post an update as soon as I have news.

Grazie,
    Emilio Bova

Hi,

I did some tests with a Silverlight 4 application, Lightstreamer server 3.6 build 1463, SL API 1.2.0.0.

It appears that the client is able to reconnect to the server even if the very first attempt fails, but not always. I did not thoroughly debug the failing cases, but, given the results, I suspect the cause might lie in the Lightstreamer SL API and not in the SL framework.

Going back to my other original question, do you plan to port LSProxy class' functionalities to Silverlight API?

Ciao,
    Emilio Bova

Just to add some new info.
    I fixed a couple of problems in my code and reconnection after first failure has never failed again since then.

Ciao,
    Emilio Bova

Administrator
    Emilio,

The current plan is to enhance the Silverlight Demo to show how to manage automatic reconnections and resubscriptions, rather than porting the LSProxy class.

Hi Alessandro,

Thanks for the information.

Emilio

Power Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alessandro
    I ran some tests with Silverlight 4 and I confirm that the current library is already compatible with the Silverlight 4 SDK