visualtable's hottime and old machines

Hi all,
    I'm writing an application which also needs to run on old machines (pentium 3 and IE6).
    I need something like lightstreamer's hot/cold time switching but it's too heavy on those old machines as I can have up to 50 topics to display at once.
    With 80 or more topicsI get the javascript engine stucked or the master push page not being able to perform the first snapshot (it loops from connecting to polling and viceversa).
    Is there a lighter way to perform cell blinking?

Power Member
    hi,

are setHotToColdTime and setColdToHotTime set to 0?

to try to let the page perform better you could avoid the style change during the initial snapshot applying 0 to setHotTime on the first update per each item and/or you could change the background of only part of your fields.

HTH

Yes, i tryed both removing onUpdateItems/onChangingValue events and setting hottocold and coldtohot time to 0.
    Performance increased drammatically but cell blinking on change value is a requirement.
    Anyway I'll try to reduce the number of fields which should be blinked and see how it goes.
    Thanks

Power Member
    what about avoid the blinking only on the first update?

if you make use of the initial snapshot you receive a burst of updates when the application starts, but probably, after that burst, less updates reach the client at once.

So if you just avoid the blinking on the first update the application will be able to start without saturating the CPU and afterwards you could re-enable the blinking on your fields without the huge impact on performances.

Hi Mone, you said:
    to try to let the page perform better you could avoid the style change during the initial snapshot applying 0 to setHotTime on the first update per each item
    How to do that ?
    because the function to detect that it's the first snapshot is done in the onItemUpdate funtion, while setting the hotTime attribute is done in the onChangingValues function ???

Power Member
    you have to pass the information from one callback to the other.

there is not a fixed way to do that, you can leverage the extra fields (see the addField method) or any other idea you may come up with.

Our StocklistDemo uses the extra field approach (see the use of the doFade flag and the #fade field)

HTH

Thank you Mone.