Consuming Web Services within Lightstreamer

I wish to use Web Services to call methods to alter extensions within an asterisk server.
    The lightstreamer runs a java implementation to monitor and interface with the asterisk server through the metadata adapter. The java code can then publish events of interest to the data adapter, and interact with the asterisk server.

What I would like to know is the following:
    1) Is there a way to write some simple web services to alter the asterisk-engine effectively within lightstreamer? I was wondering if it is possible to use a second metadata adapter to speak to the ls-metadata/asterisk-engine adapter?

2)If I use the SendMessage call instead of a separate WSDL defined web service, could I still be considered to be using a web service? (Considering how ultimately it is using XML/HTTP (not sure if it is using SOAP)).

Thanks
    David

Power Member
    ...The lightstreamer runs a java implementation to monitor and interface with the asterisk server through the metadata adapter. The java code can then publish events of interest to the data adapter...
    Why did you connect the metadata adapter to the asterisk server instead of connecting directly the data adapter to it? Is it because you are using a sendMessage method to send info from the asterisk to the metadata adapter? Or do you use such data in your metadata adapter?

1) Is there a way to write some simple web services to alter the asterisk-engine effectively within lightstreamer? I was wondering if it is possible to use a second metadata adapter to speak to the ls-metadata/asterisk-engine adapter?
    I'm not sure I understood your question, btw note that:
    each Lightstreamer session is bound to a single metadata adapter;
    you can use within your data and metadata adapter any java API that you like.

2)If I use the SendMessage call instead of a separate WSDL defined web service, could I still be considered to be using a web service? (Considering how ultimately it is using XML/HTTP (not sure if it is using SOAP)).
    I don't think so.
    Our sendMessage at the moment has two main limitations. The first, that apply to all the clients, is that each message sent to the metadata adapter is session bound, so if the client session expires while the message is flowing from the client to the server it will be refused.
    The other limitation, that apply only to the javascript client, is that you've not the possibility to know client-side if the sent message was received/accepted/etc (other clients issue errors if a "problem" arises).
    So, you can use our sendMessage only if you accept such limitations.

HTH

Hi Mone, thanks for that, yes I see that I should be using the data adapter. In addition I am changing my architecture slightly to better intercommunicate between the web server and lightstreamer and my back-end state application.