Thread: LS in the cloud

LS in the cloud

Hi,
    I would like to deploy an application that uses LS in the amazon EC2 cloud.
    I am planning to build my own AMI with my application all setup and ready to go when I start an instance of this AMI.

I wonder if I will be facing issues with this given the fact that the license is bound to a MAC address?

What is your suggestion?

BRgds
    --
    jag

Administrator
    Hi Jag,

Bundling Amazon EC2 AMIs containing Lightstreamer Server works great. As you pointed out, the only caveat is the licensing system. All Lightstreamer licenses, except for the Eval licenses, are currently bound to a MAC address of the hosting machine. With the raise of virtualization solutions, where the MAC address is totally arbitrary and sometimes changeable, we understand that this kind of licensing paradigm is probably no more flexible enough.

For what concerns EC2, the MAC address does not change on reboot, but only when a new instance is started (even if the previous one was terminated). So, it is not very different than a traditional physical machine. If it breaks and you have to migrate Lightstreamer to a new machine, we will give you a new license key.

There exist some workarounds proposed to choose the MAC address of an EC2 machine (for example, see here), but we would like to come up with some new licensing mechanism that is fully compliant with the virtualization and cloud paradigms, without sacrificing our right to keep control on how many instances of Lightstreamer Server are deployed around. By the way, if anyone has any or suggestion idea on this topic, please let us know!

Cheers,

Alessandro

Ready made AMI?

Hello,

I wonder if there is a ready made AMI with Moderato server installed? It would be a great thing, since it would make evaluating Lightstreamer even more easy. If it does not exist I guess it would not be hard for you guys to set it up, and it would also make a nice press release

Davorin

Administrator
    I confirm that we don't provide it at the moment.
    We will consider the suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by DarioCrivelli View Post
    I confirm that we don't provide it at the moment.
    We will consider the suggestion.
    Hi, it has been a few years since this.
    Has something changed in this regard?

Thanks,
    Daniel

Administrator
    Hi Daniel,

That' a good point. We've been quite lazy and never created the Moderato AMI.
    But now it's the time. Give us a few weeks and let's see if this time we succeed.

Thanks for the reminder!

Cheers,
    Alessandro

Administrator

Done

Ok, we promised and we did

The Moderato AMI are now publicly available.
    Find all the details here: http://www.lightstreamer.com/moderatoAMI.htm

Let us know your comments!

Cheers,
    Alessandro