near loss-less update notification for trade transactions

Hi all,

I hope asking these many questions is not too much...

Question 1)
    In the stock streaming demo we are trying to do, we need to push to selected users the real-time trade transactions executed for a particular stock item. I realize this requires important bandwidth and update frequency and my assumption for the demo is that there is no restrictive limitation in this regard.

However, I have some problems. The frequency was set to 20, bandwith to 40 and bufferSize to 100 but I can still see that the lightstreamer client is not receiving "enough" transaction updates and a lot many of them get dropped.

For instance, the feed can deliver 5 new transactions for a specific item in the same millisecond, but in total, it only delivers 100 new transactions in 1 second then it calms down. So technically, if lightstreamer can keep 100 updates in the buffer/history, it should be able to deliver the 100 updates to the client using the assigned client/server frequency, right ? So I should be able to receive the 100 updates in the client within the 100/20 = 5 seconds ? But in reality, I receive only few of them.

Any help in this regard ?
    For info, the subscription is "MERGE" because of the issue discussed below.

Question 2)
    For the trade transactions, I first used DISTINCT to get the updates, but this caused receiving a lot of NULL/UNCHANGED updates instead. For instance:

- The data adapter generates 100 "different" transaction events to lightstreamer (most of the fields are different, including the timestamp)

- Client subscribing to this item in DISTINCT mode receives:
    [=====>TRADE] update for 1: [0001, null, 07:00:00:051, 77.500000, 120, 12780, 5186]
    [=====>TRADE] update for 1: [UNCHANGED, UNCHANGED, 07:00:00:057, UNCHANGED, 38, 12808, 6860]
    [=====>TRADE] update for 1: [UNCHANGED, UNCHANGED, 07:00:00:062, UNCHANGED, 20, 12837, 9005]
    [=====>TRADE] update for 1: [UNCHANGED, UNCHANGED, 07:00:00:068, UNCHANGED, 50, 12865, 10453]
    [=====>TRADE] update for 1: [UNCHANGED, UNCHANGED, 07:00:00:074, UNCHANGED, 10, 12896, 12126]
    [=====>TRADE] update for 1: [UNCHANGED, UNCHANGED, 07:00:00:079, UNCHANGED, 65, 12922, 13299]
    [=====>TRADE] update for 1: [UNCHANGED, UNCHANGED, 07:00:00:081, UNCHANGED, 20, 12929, 13659]
    [=====>TRADE] update for 1: [UNCHANGED, UNCHANGED, UNCHANGED, UNCHANGED, UNCHANGED, UNCHANGED, UNCHANGED]
    [=====>TRADE] update for 1: [UNCHANGED, UNCHANGED, UNCHANGED, UNCHANGED, UNCHANGED, UNCHANGED, UNCHANGED]
    ... more items in the same form, all UNCHANGED

- Client subscribing to this item in MERGE mode receives:
    [=====>TRADE] update for 1: [0001, null, 07:00:00:051, 77.500000, 190, 12782, 5390]
    [=====>TRADE] update for 1: [UNCHANGED, UNCHANGED, 07:00:00:057, UNCHANGED, 17, 12811, 6977]
    [=====>TRADE] update for 1: [UNCHANGED, UNCHANGED, 07:00:00:063, UNCHANGED, 65, 12840, 9250]
    [=====>TRADE] update for 1: [UNCHANGED, UNCHANGED, 07:00:00:069, UNCHANGED, 25, 12869, 10648]
    [=====>TRADE] update for 1: [UNCHANGED, UNCHANGED, 07:00:00:075, UNCHANGED, 20, 12900, 12286]
    [=====>TRADE] update for 1: [UNCHANGED, UNCHANGED, 07:00:00:081, UNCHANGED, UNCHANGED, 12929, 13659]

The problem is that MERGE makes a lot of updates disapear. DISTINCT makes some disapear and many contain nothing (NULL/UNCHANGED)
    The idea was to receive most of the updates, how can I achieve this ?

Question 3)
    I need to deliver news feed thru the same stock streaming demo in the following way:
    - Any time a user subscribes to the news, he should receive all the news item of the current day
    - Then the user needs to receive the news updates in real-time.
    How can I achieve this ?

Question 4)
    Performance wise, which one is better ?
    - Data adapter to filtrate all the redundant data (unchanged fields) and only send real updates to lightstreamer
    - Data adapter to send everything to lightstreamer which will handle the unchanged data

Thanks in advance,
    R

Administrator
    Hi Riad

about your questions 1 and 2,
    the Server sends "UNCHANGED" placeholders when field values are indeed unchanged across subsequent events (of course, the "UNCHANGED" notification is not sent in this form on the socket).
    May you please confirm that all those "UNCHANGED" notifications that you receive correspond to what you expect, based on what you send from your Data Adapter?
    Since you say that
    Quote Originally Posted by rsouissi
    - The data adapter generates 100 "different" transaction events to lightstreamer (most of the fields are different, including the timestamp)
    , this point has to be clarified, first.
    You can check the content of the events received from your Data Adapter by setting as DEBUG the "LightstreamerLogger.subscriptions" category in the Server logging configuration file (i.e. lightstreamer_log_conf.xml).
    If you sent sequences of events that are equal (with respect to the subscribed fields), then in MERGE mode those events would indeed be filtered, as it happened in your case.

Question 3)
    I need to deliver news feed thru the same stock streaming demo in the following way:
    - Any time a user subscribes to the news, he should receive all the news item of the current day
    - Then the user needs to receive the news updates in real-time.
    How can I achieve this ?
    You can take advantage of Lightstreamer snapshot management (introduced in DOCS-SDKs/General Concepts.pdf, paragraph 3.4).

If your news items are managed in DISTINCT mode, then the Server can keep a list of the last updates received, so that they can be sent to the clients at subscription, before the real time updates.
    This is useful to fill fixed size scrolling windows with initial data. For your needs (i.e. keeping all the updates of the current day), this has two limitations:
    - unlimited lists are not supported (you have to configure a limit for historical data lists)
    - clearing of the list is not supported (if your Server is not restarted overnight, you need to use different item names for different days)

Those limitations can be overcome by managing items in COMMAND mode, but through some complication both on the Client and on the Data Adapter. Would you like to expand this matter?

Question 4)
    Performance wise, which one is better ?
    - Data adapter to filtrate all the redundant data (unchanged fields) and only send real updates to lightstreamer
    - Data adapter to send everything to lightstreamer which will handle the unchanged data
    If some updates may be identical to the preceeding ones AND such updates are not useful for the clients, then filtering them in the Data Adapter may be more efficient then sending them.
    This is because Lightstreamer Server performs the check for unchanged field values only at session level; this means that the same check may be repeated multiple times for the same update event, depending on the number of clients subscribing to the same item.

Dario

Hi,

1) 2)
    I did the following:
    - Increased the value of distinct_snapshot_length for trades items to 200
    - Increases the value of buffer_size for trades items to 300 (just to be sure nothing is dropped because of frequency)
    - Modified the lightstreamer log configuration file
    - Subscribed to item in DISTINCT mode

I got this:
    - Data adapter produces 176 events for item 1140, all different in all or some fields
    - Client received 176 events but most of them UNCHANGED (see attached client.log file)
    - Lightstreamer log showed 176 events (see attached server.log file)

By the way, I use 3.3.4 build 1289

3)
    Regarding COMMAND messages, I still did not explore the capabilities of this option as I found MERGE and DISTINCT do most of what I needed. I'll give it a shot.
    4)
    Do you know how many users LS can manage on a 4 CPU machine with a given frequency ?

Thanks a lot for your help and valuable info,
    Regards,
    R
    Attached Files Attached Files

Administrator
    Hi Riad

Please check that your Data Adapter does not reuse the same event object across the multiple calls on the ItemEventListener. Reusing the object is not supported, since Lightstreamer Server does not clone the event objects it receives, as stated in the ItemEventListener javadoc (also available online here).
    This would explain the observed behaviour.

Dario Crivelli

Actually I am reusing the same Map instance (fieldValues) but the String fields inside are actually updated:

listener.update(itemID, fieldValues, isSnapshot);

Is this what you are reffering to ?

R

Administrator
    yes,
    the Map instance may be kept by Lightstreamer for some time after the "update" call has returned;
    therefore, reusing the Map instance by the Data Adapter is not supported.
    You need to change this part of the Adapter code and create a new Map instance for each "update" call.
    Note, however, that
    as long as you process the item in MERGE mode,
    the Map to be passed to the "update" method only needs to contain the changed fields.

Dario