Newbie Question: How to connect adapter with the web server on Linux?

Hey,

So I have installed Apache web server on my Linux machine. I do not understand how to get my sample client code running. Kindly help me out here. The path /var/www/ has a sample index.html page whereby if I enter "localhost" on the browser I can see this sample page which shows my web server is up and working.

Now , my Lightstreamer home folder is in the /home/Lightstreamer/ path. Now where should I place my data adapter which is in my Lightsteamer folder in order to connect with my web server and what should I enter as my browser url to test the client code. The ports & the paths to be entered to test a sample adapter-client code & when to start the LS server is kind of confusing me. I'm sorry I know it's a really basic question & probable I've missed reading something out in the docs.

Thank you,
    Priyanka

Power Member
    Hi Priyanka,

Lightstreamer is also a webserver itself, therefore (at least for simple prototyping) you don't need anything else. My suggestion is to follow a simple demo in order to getting familiar with basic concepts and procedures.

Let us know.
    Thanks and Regards,

Gianluca

Hey,

I tried the simple demo example using Lightstreamer as a webserver. I can see the client page on "localhost:8080" on my browser but with no data(items & its contents) in it. On the other end, I can see Lightstreamer server up with the data adapters ready. Am I messing up something with regard to the 2 adapter.xml files( one common to all projects & one inside the Stocklist project) & the index.html file?

Kindly help.
    Thank you,
    Priyanka

Power Member
    Hi,

you also need to deploy a client side application relative to the Stock Adapter demo. Here a complete list of the HTML clients.
    Simply follow the instructions for one of them, then come back to us for any specific issues you may have in executing the demo.

Regards.
    Gianluca

Hey,

Yes I did follow these codes and its steps. But when I try to run a client code on my localhost, it shows the real time web-server as disconnected which I am unable to figure out.

Thanks for helping though
    Priyanka

Power Member
    Which client example did you deploy?

Hey,

StockList Demo - Basic HTML client.

Thanks,
    Priyanka

Power Member
    Ok,

provided that you have deployed all StockList Basic HTML Client files under /home/Lightstreamer/pages/StockListDemo_Basic (along with require.js and lightstreamer.js files to put under /home/Lightstreamer/pages/StockListDemo_Basic/js), so you should point your browser to http://localhost:8080/StockListDemo_basic/, and watch real time data populating the grid.

Let me know.
    Gianluca

Hey,

A quick doubt,

Can you explain me a little in detail what does "DemoCommonCollection" stands for

lsClient.connectionSharing.enableSharing("DemoComm onConnection", "ATTACH", "CREATE"); in the javascript client example and do I need to change it?

Thank you,
    Priyanka
    Last edited by Priyanka; May 12th, 2016 at 01:32 PM.

Power Member
    You can get more details about connection sharing at the following urls:

1. Lightstreamer.enableSharing method documentation
    2. ConnectionSharing class documentation

Such feature is useful if your front-end includes more than one LishtstreamerClient instance that wants to connect and subscribe to the same server, otherwise you may simply ignore it.

Regards
    Gianluca