Hybrid View

LiteralBaseProvider and SmartDataProvider Instantiation

Hello,

I am running into the following strange issue. I have created two adapters:
    • public class DataAdapter implements SmartDataProvider
    • public class MetadataAdapter extends LiteralBasedProvider

In MetadataAdapter's constructor a static instance variable gets set (the only write access to the instance variable in the whole project):

public MetadataAdapter() {
    super();
    metadataAdapterInstance = this;
    }

Read access is provided by:

public static MetadataAdapter instance() {
    return metadataAdapterInstance;
    }

But when this instance variable is accessed it is sometimes set and sometimes null. E.g. it is always null when accessing it within DataAdapters's constructor:

public DataAdapter() {
    logger.debug("[constructor] instance = {}", MetadataAdapter.instance());
    }

The adapters.xml looks like this (shortened):
    <adapters_conf id="online-consulting">
    <metadata_adapter_initialised_first>Y</metadata_adapter_initialised_first>
    <metadata_provider>
    <adapter_class>xyz.MetadataAdapter</adapter_class>
    <classloader>log-enabled</classloader>

</metadata_provider>
    <data_provider>
    <adapter_class>xyz.DataAdapter</adapter_class>
    </data_provider>
    </adapters_conf>

Interestingly enough, in my debugging environment everything works fine (Intellij). The setings are:
    Main class: com.lightstreamer.LS
    VM options: -Dcom.lightstreamer.kernel_lib_path=lib/lightstreamer.jar -Dcom.lightstreamer.logging_lib_path=lib/ls-logging-utilities.jar -Dcom.lightstreamer.internal_lib_path=lib/ls-monitor.jar:lib/core/*:lib/mpn/*:lib/mpn/apns/*:lib/mpn/gcm/*:shared/lib/*
    Program arguments: conf/lightstreamer_conf.xml

Any idea what might cause this strange (and show stopping) behaviour?

Best regards,
    Oliver

Power Member
    Hi Oliver,

there is no guarantee about the order of instantiation for MetadataAdapter and DataProvider classes, so you cannot leverage on that in order to setup this kind of communication between instances, as in your example.

The only order that can be assured is relative to the invocation of init methods, which should be used to place all the initialization logic for both classes.
    By using the following settting:

as you did in your adapters.xml configuration file, you ensure that the invocation of 'init' method for the MetadataAdapter ends before the 'init of the DataAdapter is called (and, in general, before any 'init' of all Data Apdaters provided in the same Adapter Set). It means that you should not access the static 'instance' method of your 'MetadataAdapter' class in the constructor of 'DataAdapter', but rather in its 'init' method, as follows:

Obviously, you get back to the similar problem by configuring the parameter with 'N', because in that case the MetadataAdapter and DataApater instances get intialized in parallel, so the final behavior is unpredictable. Anyway, default value is 'Y'.

Let me know if this explanation is enough for you.

Thanks and Regards,
    Gianluca

Hi Gianluca,

your explanation helps to understand instantation of the adapter classes, but unfortunately it does not solve my problem.

When I access the MetadataAdapter within the DataAdapters init() method (as described in your answer), it returns a Null for the MetadataAdapter instance.

The actual issue I am dealing with is that the MetadataAdapter instance is null when DataAdapters's subscribe method is being called where I definitely need that instance and am now running into a null pointer exception.

Interestingly enough, after a few calls of the subscribe method the MetadataAdapter instance seems to be set.

And as I said, this problem does not appear when running in debug mode from Intellij Idea.

Best regards,
    Oliver
    Last edited by oliverwetterau; November 2nd, 2015 at 09:33 AM.

Power Member
    Hi Oliver,

which version of Lightstreamer Server?

Gianluca

Lightstreamer Server 6.0.1 build 1780

Power Member
    Ok,

could you please send us the log showing the startup of Lightstreamer Server (not running in the development environment)? We need to analyse the order of initialization of Metadata Adapter and Data Adapter classes, so please leave the logger.debug statement inside method init of your DataAdapter.
    Also update the lightstreamer_log_conf.xml as follows:

Regards
    Gianluca