Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

DDE Server not updating Excel clients

I’m Implementing DDE Server for Excel Clients to provide them with stock market real time data that updated from lightstreamer server

I used Ndde.Dll and created a class that inherits from NddeServer where I override the following methods and events
    Code:
    OnBeforeConnect()
    OnAfterConnect()
    OnDisconnect()
    OnStartAdvise()
    OnStopAdvise()
    OnExecute()
    OnPoke()
    OnRequest()
    OnAdvise()
    Advise()
    - When application starts up I register the server and then when there is any updates
    I call the serverObj.Advice(Topic, Item). e.g serverObj.Advice(“Topic”, “item~Id”).

- Client select some data from data grid view rows that updates automatically from lightstreamer subscriptions he needs and copy them then opens excel sheet and paste the selected data items

- The formula of each cell looks like ‘ServerName|TopicName!’ItemName~Id’.

Issue is when data items updated in system they didn’t in Excel sheet
    - Could you help me, how can I fix this???
    - Is there alternative methods for using DDE or missed steps to do??
    Thanks and Best regards,
    Hassan A. Shehata

Power Member
    Hi,

we never tried .NET + DDE so I'm not sure we can help you.
    Did you verify that the events from the Lightstreamer connection were received by your listenrs?

We have a couple of demos that feed data into excel:

Java+DDE: https://github.com/Weswit/Lightstrea...ist-client-dde
    .NET+RTD: https://github.com/Weswit/Lightstrea...ist-client-rtd

HTH

Dear Mone,

we are using official licensed Lightstreamer 5.1.2 version and I can confirm that all events were received successfully and data transmitted well, Issue is concentrated only on implementing DDE. Server to update Excel clients with changeable data received from LightStreamer Server, which is done as I explained but the issue when update received from LightStreamer server it did not update the same item in excel client..why?? Is there a specific way to do so?? or specific steps to follow??

I tried to use RTD as you mentioned and followed all instruction to run Demo, but it not working, how can I run it using our lightstreamer server? and merge it as part of our system??

Can we upgrade to new version of Lightstreamer? what are procedures to follow?

Thanks and best regards...
    Thanks and Best regards,
    Hassan A. Shehata

Administrator
    On the DDE front, if the only problem is how to publish the data obtained by Lightstreamer, unfortunately, we don't have any experience to share.

On the RTD front, what exactly didn't work with our demo?
    Do you refer to the "View live demo" link, or to the "Install + Run" instructions, or to the "Build + Install + Run" instructions?
    In the latter two cases, which step didn't work? Is there anything unclear in the explanation?
    The latter two cases would allow you exactly to run the demo using your local installation of LS Server, so you can also merge it with the existing system by leveraging the source code.

To upgrade an existing and working Lightstreamer installation, you should follow the hints in the included README.TXT file.
    Which versions are you referring to?

Dear Mone,

sorry for Delayed response

kindly be informed that:-
    - I downloaded and installed the Demo
    - I tried to just run the demo as is on your server , I followed the instructions and compiled the project successfully then I replaced the DLL file allocated in installation directory e.g (C:\Program Files (x86)\Lightstreamer .NET RTD Server Demo library for Excel\lib\RTDLibraryExcelDemo.dll) with the new compliled dll produced from Demo Source code.

- when I opened 'ExcelDemo.xls' or 'ExcelDemo.xlsx' Sheets associated with the Demo there are no data displayed or updated
    please find attached picture for details
    - Are there any configuration to do in Excel??
    - How to make sure the rtd server is registered successfully from excel?
    - Is there a way to debug the RTDLibraryExcelDemo source code while opening excel?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RTDExcelDemoLS.jpg 
Views:	1408 
Size:	101.2 KB 
ID:	175
    Thanks and Best regards,
    Hassan A. Shehata

Power Member
    Hi,

as per the documentation, did you register the DDL you produced by using the RegAsm.exe tool?
    Could you please check the content of A1 cell? It should contain the RTD function with the configuration parameters to connect to the Lightstreamer Server instance.

Regards,
    Gianluca

Power Member
    Hi,

just realized that same topics have already been discussed on this thread forum.

Just to be sure of your environment setup, could you please confirm that the downloaded demo works well as is, without any rebuild?

Thanks and Regards,
    Gianluca

Dear Gianluca,
    Thanks for your support and cooperation.
    After downloading the demo, I opened the Start Lightstreamer excel RTD server sheet that's installed with demo but the same issue occurs but I think my machine connects sucessfully to your server as another demo '
    DotNetStockListDemo.exe' is working correctly and recives updates from lightstreamer server normally I can provide yours with remote session to help me if you can ?

Thanks so much
    Thanks and Best regards,
    Hassan A. Shehata

Power Member
    Hi Hassan,

referring to this article , please check the security level settings of your Excel 2013 installation and temporarily switch them to "Enable all macros" to let the RTD Server work properly. Let me now as you did it.

Regards,
    Gianluca

Dear Gianluca,
    I checked the settings of trust cener for addons and macros and all adjusted to
    Enable all macros and all addons types but RTD Example not working till now , I will reinstall a new version of windows, redo all steps again and inform you with results.

Thanks for your time and effort
    Thanks and Best regards,
    Hassan A. Shehata