Javascript library file size

Hi, I am looking at using Lightstreamer as it seems to be a well supported and mature product. My one concern is the size of the javascript library which is upwards of 250k (lspushpage.js, lscommons.js & lsengine.js). It appears that the brunt of the file size is for the VisualTable stuff. I am only interested in developing nonVisualTable apps using longpolling/streaming, is there a 'lite' version for the javascript libraries?

Thanks,
    Jason

Administrator
    Hi Jason,

Please consider that the JavaScript libraries are usually delivered by any common Web server employing HTTP content compression (through GZIP/DEFLATE encoding). In this case the overall size of the libraries is about 65 KB.

That said, a non-visual lite version of the libraries is not available yet, but will be definitely provided in the future.

Cheers,
    Alessandro

Lightstreamer content compression

Quote Originally Posted by Alessandro
    Please consider that the JavaScript libraries are usually delivered by any common Web server employing HTTP content compression (through GZIP/DEFLATE encoding). In this case the overall size of the libraries is about 65 KB.

Alessandro
    I would like to know if Lightstreamer supports content compression similarly like GZIP/DEFLATE encoding in other Web servers? It would be great for pushing large number of items.
    Thank you.

Administrator
    GZIP/DEFLATE push content compression is not supported for some reasons:

When in streaming mode, it does not seem to be safe enough to compress individual chunks while maintaining broad compatibility with clients and intermediaries.
    In any case, Lightstreamer pushed content is already compressed because only the deltas in the item state is pushed. So, applying a further GZIP/DEFLATE-style compression is many cases could not provide any benefit (unless large strings are pushed, but this is not a common use case).

When in polling mode, most of the response length in many cases is given by the HTTP header, which would not change with GZIP/DEFLATE compression.

But we keep improving our protocol, so I don't exclude we could decide to provide some form of compression support in the future.