Extremely Old Client [iOS]

Hi,

This is perhaps the dumbest question I've ever asked in a technical forum, but I'll give it a shot. I have an iOS app that's running an ancient version of iStream Light (version 1.0.6). Our server folks want to upgrade to the latest version of Lightstreamer. Will this work with our client?

Thanks,

Bruce

Administrator
    Hello,

yes, iStreamLight still works with newer servers, even with 6.0 alpha. Anyway, you are strongly encouraged to upgrade to the official client library. It offers lots of improvements on iStreamLight, like: automatic reconnection, automatic resubscription, support for polling mode on unstable networks, proxy traversal, push notifications (currently in alpha), etc. Last but not least, as it is an official product you can have official support.

If you have any question regarding the upgrade process from iStreamLight to the official client library, feel free to ask.
    Best regards,

Gianluca

Thanks Gianluca. Our server folks tentatively installed the new server side and our client app crashes on streaming within a minute. If you guys tested it and it's supposed to work, we'll need to investigate further to see what's going on.

Administrator
    Hello,

you can check that iStreamLight is still working with recent servers by downloading the project from GitHub. The sample app it contains will connect and stream data from the current demo server at push.lightstreamer.com, a 6.0 alpha3. Consider that it implements just the bare Text Protocol of Lightstreamer, which is public and did not change much in recent years. What is causing your app to crash may be something else.

Is there any particular reason you hesitate to upgrade to the official client? Besides API name changes, the programming model is the same. It still contains iStreamLight under the hood, so you are guaranteed that it will work, and you can have official support.

Getting support for iStreamLight may be difficult. It is an open source project that did not develop an active community, and has long been abandoned. If you have specific issues you may try to post them on its GitHub project issues page or on Stack Overflow using the Lightstreamer tag, but don't expect an immediate answer. As the original author it's me, if you get it it will probably me in my spare time.

Hope this helps.
    Best regards,

Gianluca