Unix Permissions

Alex,

Thank you for the explanation. I will closely look at the example you mentioned. Another 2 questions are about permissions.

1) Since LightStreamer server is launched as a separate process, and as far as I understood it needs access to the OS resources, then does it have to be owned by "root"? In other words, what kind of permissions do you need to have in order to run your server under Unix?
    2) Our production environment is strictly controlled, and we have to request port numbers in advance. Will it present any kind of a problem when running the LightStreamer server?

Best regards,

Mike

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by mvelik
    1) Since LightStreamer server is launched as a separate process, and as far as I understood it needs access to the OS resources, then does it have to be owned by "root"? In other words, what kind of permissions do you need to have in order to run your server under Unix?
    Lightstreamer Server needs to run as root, only if it has to listen on "root" ports (e.g. TCP ports below 1000). That's usually the case in a production environment, if you configure Lightstreamer Server to run on standard HTTP/HTTPS ports (i.e. 80 and 443). So, from this point of view, you can consider Lightstreamer Server as a common Web Server (you must give Apache root privileges in order to liste on port 80).
    Furthermore, in the shell script used for startup, you will probably want to increase the number of file descriptors for Lightstreamer process, through the ulimit command. That's another operation that usually requires root privileges.
    No other resctrictions exist.

Quote Originally Posted by mvelik
    2) Our production environment is strictly controlled, and we have to request port numbers in advance. Will it present any kind of a problem when running the LightStreamer server?
    You can configure all the port numbers in advance through the lightstreamer_conf.xml configuration file.

Cheers,
    Alex