Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Power Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mone View Post
    Hi,

I had no "luck" with a disconnected client, tonight I'll try with a "will-retry" client.

In the meanwhile, did you try to track safari with perfmon?
    I have been using the resource monitor but will try perfmon. It is not as easy to recreate as I thought. I haven't managed to get an problem for a day or so but will persist.

Power Member
    I have started logging these errors in a console (not the browser console but something in our app) with a time stamp and this is what happened:

Code:
    An unexpected error has occurred at Mon, 10 Mar 2014 22:18:09 GMT: 
    'Error: Out of memory'
    The url is 'http://rnsdev:9081/js/lightstreamer/lightstreamer.js?v=6.00.7517'
    The line number is 657
    An unexpected error has occurred at Mon, 10 Mar 2014 22:18:14 GMT: 
    The line number is 657
    An unexpected error has occurred at Mon, 10 Mar 2014 22:18:16 GMT: 
    The line number is 657
    An unexpected error has occurred at Mon, 10 Mar 2014 22:18:51 GMT: 
    The line number is 657
    An unexpected error has occurred at Mon, 10 Mar 2014 22:18:56 GMT: 
    The line number is 657
    An unexpected error has occurred at Tue, 11 Mar 2014 09:00:08 GMT: 
    The line number is 691
    So the out of memory errors started at 22:18 - which is NOT when the server is down. It is still active at this time - so I have given you a bum steer there. It then happens a few times more, then stops until I interact with the browser again at 09:00. Once our client disconnects overnight, it does not attempt to reconnect until user activity is detected (mousedown, keypress etc). So I got another "Out of memory" error when I attempted to reconnect the LS client. Notice the line number for the error in the morning is different.

Looking at the memory usage for WebKit in the resource manager and it is nothing unusual at all.

The Safari Console shows is attached, reporting a problem with bind_session.js just before the "Out of memory" issue.

The browser itself is not behaving very well now I have this error condition. It is not even rendering properly.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	safari_error.jpg 
Views:	679 
Size:	48.8 KB 
ID:	156  

Power Member
    The error on the bind_session is related to the <cross_domain_policy> configuration on the server: since the client was working before I suspect that the server is actually correctly configured and thus that error can't be explained.

Try upgrading the client lib to 6.1. I don't think there is anything that could solve the issue there though

Try keeping the client disconnected

Try reducing the size of the bind_session request by modifying the <content_length> element in the server configuration or by manually switching safari to polling. Given the situation this is currently my best bet.

I would take a look to a memory profile, but unfortunately that version of Safari does not yet have a memory profiler.

On my side I didn't reproduce the OOM but I got an unresponsive Safari after a night of DISCONNECTED:WILL-RETRY (I had the log enabled though, my bad).
    I'll try to dig deeper, but it may take a while because I'm leaving for a short vacation.

HTH

Power Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mone View Post
    Try reducing the size of the bind_session request by modifying the <content_length> element in the server configuration or by manually switching safari to polling. Given the situation this is currently my best bet.
    I think I need an idiots guide here

Power Member
    Option 1 is to open the lightstreamer server configuration file and search for the <content_length> element, than, assuming you're on a test environment, reduce it to something much smaller (let's say 100 times smaller).

Option 2 means changing the client code by adding the following call:

The effects of the two are somewhat simlar, number 1 making the streaming connection smaller (i.e.: when the content length is exhausted the client closes the current streaming connection and opens a new one) and number 2 making the streaming connection the smallest possible (each time something is received the connection is closed and a new one is opened).

Power Member
    OK - so assuming I don't want to impact all the difference browsers connecting to the server, I need to use option 2 and condition the code based on the browser type?

Administrator
    Yes, you are right.
    Option 1 is practicable if you could reserve a Lightstreamer test server to find out the Safari issue.

Nevertheless, please note that you may define a special case recognized by the user-agent supplied with the request in order to differentiate the behavior of the server. Please refer to the inline documentation of the <special_case> parameter.

Power Member
    My preference was the javascript approach, so I will give the HTTP_POLLING option a try for Safari and see if it still crashes.

Power Member
    I have just noticed that even without the javascript change, Safari is using HTTP-POLLING anyway. So I don't think that forcing it to use polling is going to fix my problem.

Power Member
    Hi kpturner,

I left my safari connected to http://demos.lightstreamer.com/StockListDemo/ during the weekend and I got the OOM error.

Now that I can reproduce I'm going to try and find what's causing it.
    I'll keep you posted