Question How to browse to pages using machine name address instead of localhost address

Hi,

I want to browse to the page using my machine name instead of localhost after launching the LS server.

currently I am browsing to the stocklistdemo using address http://localhost:8082/default.aspx (it works fine).

but if I browse to stocklistdemo using my machine name (consider my machine name: Inder) address http://Inder:8082/default.aspx the page is not displaying (Internal Server error:500 error)

what changes should I do display the page by using my machine name address instead of localhost ?

Power Member
    Hello,

I'm guessing,

are you using a "full IIS" to serve your pages or the one embedded in Visual Studio?
    I've no experience with the regular Visual Studio but I can say that with "Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition" it seems sometimes not possible to connect to the embedded webserver with an address different from "localhost".

You can try to workaround this limitation including an entry like the following in the hosts file (WINDOWS/system32/drivers/etc) and accessing that url:
    Code:
    127.0.0.1    mypc.mydomian.com
    Or you can try a redirector like this one for firefox (I've not tried it)

Let me know if solved.

Thanks Mone for the reply.

I tried the things as you told but still the same error is coming (the page is not displaying).

Power Member
    Hi,

please can you answer this:
    are you using a "full IIS" to serve your pages or the one embedded in Visual Studio?
    Try to ping the desired host name, is it correctly solved as 127.0.0.1?

Thanks Mone,

I am using full IIS to serve the pages and i made the changes in host file as follows

127.0.0.1 Inder (Inder is my machine name).

so, by doing so by using URL http://inder:8082/stocklistdemo
    I can browse to the page ( on IE but I can't browse to the page by using firefox browser)
    on my machine.

But by using the same URL(http://inder:8082/stocklistdemo ) on another machine browser (say some machine XX) the page is not displayed (500 error). Please can you help me in solving this.

Power Member
    About the on the same machine problem with firefox, what do you get on firefox?
    Can you control proxy configurations (and relative exceptions) on both browser to see if and how they differ?

About the on a different machine problem, since you get a 500 ("internal server error") error you reach at least a server. Is there a proxy between the client machine and the IIS server? Can you check IIS log to see if requests from the client machine reaches the server?
    Is the error an ASP error with a stack trace?