Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Database Feed

Database Feed

We are in the process of making a final decision next week about which License of Lightstreamer to acquire. Meanwhile, I need to set up a proof of concept for my bosses who are flying in next week, of which the outcome of the demonstration to them will be the decision. Already, I have sent them links to the online examples, which have impressed them very much. They are still adamant that they need to see one which is set up on a demo that is closest to what we require, real time polls results sent to the client side.

From what I read on your forum, Lightstreamer say this is very possible yet they do not have an example that reads from a DB and transmits the value to the client-side on a realtime basis.

Now, my question is, can someone from Lightstreamer help me set up this even soonest possible, so that I can demonstrate this? All I need is a very simplified demo of a realtime display of poll results as they land in a DB.

Kindly help

Administrator
    A Data Adapter example showing a database integration will be released as soon as possible. In the meanwhile, any custom help can be obtained through the professional services offered by Lightstreamer's partner network. Please contact info@lightstreamer.com for more info on this topic.

Hi
    Does the Data Adapter example with a database integration is available or not yet? We are also very interested because we need to have a proof of concept with it.
    Thanks

Administrator
    Not yey, sorry. We have been very busy on other fronts. If anybody out there has an example to post for the community, we would be grateful.

Cheers,
    Alessandro

Database Adapter Example

Dear Alessandro

Is the example of a database adapter available yet. It is quite a long time since this was first mentioned and it must be a very popular request.

Regards

Gerard

Administrator
    Hi Gerard,

We haven't had time to work on this example yet, even if it would be pretty simple to implement.

Basically, in the case of Java, it would be enough to take the Hello-World Data Adapter and add some JDBC code to poll a DB instead of generating pseudo-random data.

Again, my call to anybody who has this example done to share it with the community.

Thanks

Cool

What are the pros and cons between

1)reading directly from a DB source
    and
    2)reading from a file like xml

I write a program to dynamically creates an XML file when a transaction takes place. Then feeds it to the LS. One file for each item with 6 fields.
    I have about 30 items in all.

Administrator
    Amarin,

The best approach would be to have an asynchronous data feed (based on some message-oriented middleware), which does not require polling. Both a DB and an XML data source are usually based on polling. That said, choosing between a DB and an XML file depends on many aspects, such as the polling frequency, the amount of data being polled, general architecture considerations, including transactions and fail-over. So it's impossible to provide a general answer.

Cool

Thanks for your reply Alessandro

What would the setup look like with MOM?
    Do I use it alongside lightstreamer?

Would this be ok

http://www.jboss.com/products/platforms/dataservices

or

http://www.jboss.org/projects/

Do you recommend anything else?

Thanks again

Administrator
    Sure, any JMS implementation would be a perfect solution.
    By the way, you can find a JBoss-based example in the "Lightstreamer\DOCS-SDKs\sdk_adapter_java\examples\StockListDemo_JMS_D ataAdapter" folder of your Lightstreamer distribution.