Power Member

A question about MAC address bound licensing

Hello

One of the licensing options is bound the MAC address of (the/an) interface card on the server.

If the server has multiple interfaces, which one does the licensing use for MAC address checking - or does it check them all?

Also, as I will be running LS on an IBMi LPAR, is there any way that I can test that the MAC address licensing check works properly on this platform - or have you already previously confirmed this to be the case?

Thanks

Power Member
    Hi,

Since Java 6 we rely on the JVM to gather MAC addresses from the system (see NetworkInterface ).
    The server checks all the available interfaces: note that sometimes the JVM cannot detect a non-active Network Interface.

We are slowly releasing alternatives to MAC bound licenses, so if such approach does not work on your machines we can find a different solution.

HTH

Power Member
    Hi Mone

Yes I have been in deep discussions with Gintare about licensing options etc.

What I am asking is if there are any existing licensees running LS on an IBMi? It is possible that I will be the first, and therefore I would like to test that MAC bound licenses do work as expected. I only ask this because I have found issues with some java based applications running on an IBMi, mainly because the application hardcodes something relating to a Sun implementation rather than allowing for the IBM implementation. jWebsocket has just such a bug in its SSL authentication functionality. Kaazing licensing does not work at all on the IBMi. I am not suggesting LS would have any such issue (it seems fine with everything so far), but the MAC bound licence checking is the only thing I have been unable to test.

Is this request possible and/or practical?

Thanks

Administrator
    [For general knowledge, we are currently testing the MAC bound licensing with kpturner directly]

Power Member
    It works just fine