Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Power Member

Long wait on CONNECTED:STREAM-SENSING in firefox

Hello

If my Lighstreamer server stops (i.e. I bounce it), my client goes into a reconnect cycle until the server is available again.

However, when I test with Firefox, after the server comes back up, the connection state becomes CONNECTED:STREAM-SENSING and stays that way for ages (like 2 minutes or so), before eventually doing this:
    DISCONNECTED:WILL-RETRY
    CONNECTING
    CONNECTED:STREAM-SENSING
    CONNECTED:WS-STREAMING
    Very occasionally it goes to some akin to HTTP-POLLING (cannot remember the exact status).

With Chrome (for example) I go backto CONNECTED:WS-STREAMING instantly.

Any ideas what might be the issue with FF?

Thanks

Power Member
    I think I need to put some more analysis into the circumstances that might lead to this scenario, because it is not consistent.

Power Member
    It seems to happen when the server is down for a longish period of time (like 5 minutes) - where the client is doing several of these:
    CONNECTING

When the server comes up, that is when it sticks at CONNECTED:STREAM-SENSING for a long time before either going to CONNECTED:WS-STREAMING or
    CONNECTED:HTTP-STREAMING
    CONNECTED:HTTP-POLLING
    Is there any way to upgrade the connection to streaming again once it goes to HTTP-POLLING? I have no idea why it does this, because everything appears to be fine (no looping javascript or anything).

I would like to be able to automate something that will attempt to change back to WS-STREAMING if possible. I have tried disconnecting and reconnecting but that does not work.

Also, I think this needs to be in a different forum. Please move it if required - probably to http://forums.lightstreamer.com/foru...ipt-Client-API
    Last edited by kpturner; December 15th, 2012 at 06:11 PM.

Power Member
    The CONNECTED:STREAM-SENSING should not last more than a few seconds, what do you mean with "long time"?

As per what is happening, probably the client heuristically decided to disable websockets, that's why even if you disconnect-reconnect you can't get a WebSocket connection. A server going down, may cause such behavior if it goes down when the websocket is open but no data was yet exchanged. If you attach a server log (with at least
    LightstreamerLogger.requests at INFO level) I may be able to verify if the behavior is expected or not.

Power Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mone View Post
    The CONNECTED:STREAM-SENSING should not last more than a few seconds, what do you mean with "long time"?
    As I mentioned in the original post, it can last for up to 2 minutes (an approximation - I have not timed it).
    I will see if I can replicate it and produce the log for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mone View Post
    .....that's why even if you disconnect-reconnect you can't get a WebSocket connection
    I can get a connection OK - it is just that it is an HTTP-Polling connection rather than a WS-STREAMING connection (or is that what you mean?)
    Last edited by kpturner; December 17th, 2012 at 10:55 PM.

Power Member
    OK - here is an example. It does not match my 2 minute estimate (which, since I did not measure it, may be an over exaggeration). I stopped the server and left my client cycle through its attempts at a reconnect for about 5-10 minutes. I then started the server, and got this:
    Code:
    CONNECTING
    CONNECTED:STREAM-SENSING  <-----waited for about 30-40 seconds
    CONNECTING
    CONNECTED:WS-STREAMING
    Here is the log from that time is attached.
    It looks like the delay is evident in these information messages:
    Code:
    17-Dec-12 21:11:05,638|INFO |LightstreamerLogger.requests     |SERVER POOLED THREAD 3     |Serving request: /lightstreamer/create_session.js --> LS_phase=675&LS_cause=timeout.11.0&LS_polling=true&LS_polling_millis=0&LS_idle_millis=0&LS_client_version=6.0&LS_adapter_set=RNS&LS_user=NT0X4DMMTI&LS_container=lsc& on "Lightstreamer HTTP Server" from 10.2.0.173:61743
    17-Dec-12 21:11:05,871|INFO |LightstreamerLogger.requests     |SERVER POOLED THREAD 6     |Starting new session: Sdec6d3861cdb4654T1105811 on "Lightstreamer HTTP Server" from 10.2.0.173:61743
    17-Dec-12 21:11:15,941|INFO |LightstreamerLogger.requests     |FOR PUMPS PARKING DESTROYER|Closed session Sdec6d3861cdb4654T1105811 with internal cause code: 39 (Timeout)
    17-Dec-12 21:11:40,280|INFO |LightstreamerLogger.requests     |SERVER POOLED THREAD 4     |Serving request: bind_session -> LS_session=Sdec6d3861cdb4654T1105811&LS_phase=677&LS_cause=loop1&LS_keepalive_millis=5000&LS_container=lsc& on "Lightstreamer HTTP Server" from 10.2.0.173:61793
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by kpturner; December 17th, 2012 at 10:52 PM.

Power Member
    From the log I see that the bind_session request reaches the server 35 seconds later than expected.
    Also, since I do not see a control.js?LS_op=force_rebind request looks like the client lib didn't notice any problem as if the browser was completely frozen during that pause. Is the CPU high when that happens?

You may try to add the following pieces of html anbd JS to your page and check if, when the client is blocked on the CONNECTING:STREAM-SENSE status, the counter goes on.

Power Member
    nevermind, looks like I was able to reproduce the issue, I'm looking into it right now.

Power Member
    Hi Mone

I included the extra HTML and JavaScript and repeated the problem. It "frozenTestDiv" continued to tick over without any issues. There was no evidence of any high CPU usage either.
    However, what I did notice was that the problem appears to be isolated to FF sessions that are running on remote PCs. If I may explain what I mean. I ran the test on two PCs simultaneously:
    1) On a PC on the same local network as the Lightstreamer server - this reconnected instantly (no noticeable delay between STREAM-SENSING and WS-STREAMING)
    2) On a PC that is remote, but connected to our network via a VPN - this appeared to hang on STREAM-SENSING, before eventually disconnecting and reconnecting. The ticker was fine.

Once connected, the remote PC interacts with Lightstreamer with the same level of performance as those on the local network, so it does not appear to be connected to poor internet speed.

Occasionally the PC on the local network reconnects with HTTP-POLLING instead of WS-STREAMING.

Rgds
    Kevin

Power Member
    I'm still looking into it, anyway looks like adding

prevents the issue from appearing
    (more info about the method here: http://www.lightstreamer.com/docs/cl...yWSOpenEnabled )