Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Administrator
    The log shows that the involved session is in polling, which obviously may alter the times further.
    Was it an unlucky case or is it possible that your test environment does not support streaming?

Please check that first.
    The establishing of a polling session due to the Stream-Sense mechanism should be visible in the previous part of the log.
    Can you confirm that, even in your testing environment, some proxy or similar intermediate layer is involved?

UPDATE: the above only refers to the 12:39 post.

Power Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DarioCrivelli View Post
    The <max_delay_millis> setting allows batching of updates in a single packet.
    The batching involves updates for different items and, depending on the kind of subscription, also subsequent updates for the same item.
    The delay caused by this batching operation depends on the whole sequence of updates;
    you can only expect that the delays will be distributed between 0 and the <max_delay_millis> value chosen.

So, for a test like yours, you should set it to 0, so it will not alter the flow.
    In the final application, depending on the expected throughput on your sessions, you may decide to set it higher, to reduce the Server and network overload at the expense of some additional delay on the updates.
    Dario

Is the setting global or can it be set at an adapter level? If I use lighstreamer to replicate XHR transactions (as in the above example) I may well want to set it to zero, but for other more standard uses of Lightstreamer (like ordinary feeds, chat IM etc) I would not want it set to zero.

Also, is this setting value a side issue to the strange delay I am seeing, or a probable cause of it?

Thanks
    Kevin

Power Member
    The log shows that the involved session is in polling, which obviously may alter the times further.
    Was it an unlucky case or is it possible that your test environment does not support streaming?

Please check that first.
    The establishing of a polling session due to the Stream-Sense mechanism should be visible in the previous part of the log.
    Can you confirm that, even in your testing environment, some proxy or similar intermediate layer is involved?

UPDATE: the above only refers to the 12:39 post.
    Sorry our messages are crossing. The previous part of the log is shown below.

Streaming is supported (according to the status updates on my connector) and there is no proxy or intermediate layer. I am testing on a PC to an IBMi server on the same internal subnet.

13-Dec-12 10:19:08,138|INFO |LightstreamerLogger.requests |SERVER POOLED THREAD 6 |Polling (11) to session: Sb60d90daf0c2c74T1553581 on "Lightstreamer HTTP Server" from 10.2.0.167:59696
    13-Dec-12 10:19:20,118|DEBUG|LightstreamerLogger.push |PUMP POOLED THREAD 8 |RELEASING DATA --> HTTP/1.1 200 OK
    Server: Lightstreamer/5.0 build 1576 (Lightstreamer Push Server - www.lightstreamer.com) Vivace edition
    Content-Type: text/javascript; charset=iso-8859-1
    Cache-Control: no-store
    Cache-Control: no-cache
    Pragma: no-cache
    Expires: Thu, 1 Jan 1970 00:00:00 GMT
    Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2012 10:19:20 GMT
    Content-Length: 87
    Access-Control-Allow-Origin: http://rnsdev:8081
    Access-Control-Allow-Credentials: true

setPhase(3701);start('S2e472b1dd69c6329T1553581', null, 19000, 50000);loop(0);end( );

13-Dec-12 10:19:27,169|DEBUG|LightstreamerLogger.push |PUMP POOLED THREAD 8 |RELEASING DATA --> HTTP/1.1 200 OK
    Server: Lightstreamer/5.0 build 1576 (Lightstreamer Push Server - www.lightstreamer.com) Vivace edition
    Content-Type: text/javascript; charset=iso-8859-1
    Cache-Control: no-store
    Cache-Control: no-cache
    Pragma: no-cache
    Expires: Thu, 1 Jan 1970 00:00:00 GMT
    Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2012 10:19:27 GMT
    Content-Length: 86
    Access-Control-Allow-Origin: http://rnsdev:8081
    Access-Control-Allow-Credentials: true

setPhase(7543);start('Sb60d90daf0c2c74T1553581', null, 19000, 50000);loop(0);end( );
    Last edited by kpturner; December 13th, 2012 at 12:23 PM.

Administrator
    The log in the 1:00 post shows a streaming session, so your environment is adequate;
    in the previous case there may have been some side effect.
    So, the "big message" test was in polling, whereas the "small message" test was in streaming and this explains the difference;
    I suppose this has happened by pure chance, as the session is established before any message is sent.

Please retry the "big message" case and ensure in advance that the session is established in streaming.
    If in doubt, you can detect that by looking at the monitor console, assuming that the test session is the only one running.

I also suggest you getting rid of the <max_delay_millis> (i.e. setting it to 0).
    Note that the effect of the <max_delay_millis> on a single update is not predictable, because it depends on the preceeding updates for the same session.
    Unfortunately, the setting is general and cannot be associated to the Adapter Set.

Power Member
    A third test, back with the large response again, and I only see 3ms on the server and a total round trip of 180ms. So that shoots a big hole in theory regarding the size of the response.

The polling looks like it could be a different session. When does polling start? Is it something that happens when a client disconnects unexpectedly, or something that happens when a client loses connection to the server temporarily? I had to stop and restart my server to introduce changes, and I had other test clients hanging around.

13-Dec-12 11:27:45,821|INFO |LightstreamerLogger.requests |SERVER POOLED THREAD 6 |Serving request: msg -> LS_message=<--querystring--> on "Lightstreamer HTTP Server" from 10.2.0.167:60493
    13-Dec-12 11:27:45,822|INFO |LightstreamerLogger.requests |SERVER POOLED THREAD 6 |Sending message to session: Sf1c5cddd71b4dc23T2354509 on "Lightstreamer HTTP Server" from 10.2.0.167:60493
    13-Dec-12 11:27:45,823|DEBUG|LightstreamerLogger.subscriptio ns|Thread-44 |INCOMING DATA for RPC.CXRMCJF6ZP.Sf1c5cddd71b4dc23T2354509 --> {response=<--20000 byte response-->
    }
    13-Dec-12 11:27:45,824|DEBUG|LightstreamerLogger.push |PUMP POOLED THREAD 8 |RELEASING DATA --> d(1,1,1);

Administrator
    Please ensure that the client is using the fixed version of the library sent to you by Mone.

About the polling: there are a few cases in which the client switches to polling.
    Usually, it is chosen at session startup, if the attempt to setup a streaming session fails.
    This allows the client to adapt to different environments;
    as long as the client is in the same environment you should not expect it to choose differently upon each run, unless there are temporary network issues.
    Only in the latter case, could a temporary disconnection also give rise to polling.
    Client slowness, on the other hand, may cause the client to switch to polling.

What happened to you is not clear, but it may have been a side effect due to your testing activity.
    If you see polling occur again, please provide us with the whole log, since Server startup, for a check.

Power Member
    Please ensure that the client is using the fixed version of the library sent to you by Mone.
    Yes it is the fixed version I think. It says Version 6.0 Build 1585

I think the polling thing was just a symptom of my testing. I have shaved a bit of time off the round-trip now on the server side also.

To be honest, I am having doubts about the validity of trying to compare emulated XHR requests using web sockets with real XHR requests using HTTP. Although we would definitely use something like Lightstreamer for data feeds, IM, Chat and replacing long polling, I am not sure we would use it for adhoc requests for data like this.

Lets take the jqGrid for example. Your demo has this updating via a feed which is fine for websockets. However, a normal jqGrid would load into the DOM and then make a request for the first page of data. When the user pages up, it requests another page of data and so on. This request is typically a normal XHR for a JSON from the server. Would there be any reason to do this via a request/response web socket transaction instead? My experience of testing so far seems to indicate that there is nothing to be gained here, because I am using the Lightstreamer client/server for something it was not intended for.

What would your view be on this?
    Last edited by kpturner; December 13th, 2012 at 08:20 PM.

Administrator
    Yes, generally speaking, separation of concerns is always a good architectural pattern. Lightstreamer has been designed and optimized for asynchronous (pub/sub) communication, while Web servers have evolved for synchronous (request/response) communication. Usually the two servers sit along in full synergy, each one taking care of the aspects it is specialized for.

That being said, there can be cases where you might want to leverage Lightstreamer even for request/response. Perhaps because you want to keep all your server-side logic inside a single adapter, or because you need a law latency link to send messages from the client to the server. With XHR, you might stumble into connection setup latency (especially high with SSL), while with Lightstreamer the link is kept always open, reducing round-trip latency.