Hybrid View

Power Member
    So back to the subject at hand, this very simple echo server is now working fine. What I need to address now is performance. What I have found with other evaluations is that I can send a very quick burst of separate messages to the server and the echos come back almost instantly. With my Lightstreamer echo server, if I send a very quick burst of separate messages to the server, the echoed responses plod back very slowly. I am using the logger on my echo data adapter to trace a message every time it is echod back, and I can see that the server is responding extremely fast. If I send a burst of 100 messages, my data adapter has processed all the "listener.smartUpdate" calls almost instantly - but the data is plodding back to my browser very slowly.

In other words:
    * Burst of 100 outbound messages
    * Data adapter has echoed them all back virtually instantly
    * 100 messages arrive sequently on my browser very slowly, like only one or two per second

Something is slowing matters down, and it doesn't seem to be the data adapter itself. What should I be looking at to try to work out what is going wrong? Possibly the configuration of subscription? Any pointers?

Administrator
    Are you testing with "Moderato" edition of Lightstramer? Please note that this edition has the limitation of up to 1 update per second for each item.
    In your performance test you should use the "Vivace" edition.

If you're already using the "Vivace" edition let us know that so we'll investigate further about the configuration of subscription.

Power Member
    I am using Moderato

I will change and let you know the result.

Power Member
    Moving on, I am now using Vivace to test with and I an getting fast throughput for a single client.

However, if I open two browsers (say, one Firefox and one Chrome) and fire off 100 echos simultaneously on each browser, one of the browser sessions hangs until the other one has got all its responses. It is as if the two browsers are both processing data through the same thread on the server. So one does not get any response from the server at all until the first browser session has had all its messages echoed back.

Clearly I have something misconfigured (or I have coded something incorrectly), because that would be fairly useless in a production environment.

Any pointers?
    Last edited by kpturner; December 10th, 2012 at 08:44 AM.

Administrator
    Hi kpturner,

The scenario you describe is indeed unexpected; can you post here an extract from the log of the Lightstreamer server after you have set the "LightstreamerLogger.subscriptions" and "LightstreamerLogger.pump" loggers at DEBUG level?
    This will allow us to understand the dynamics between adapter and server, and so identify the bottleneck.