DataAdapater - Integration with outside datafeed

Hi,

I am trying to implement a Push service in my project and contemplating usage of the Lightstreamer which appears very promising. Currently I’m in the phase of preparing a Proof Of Concept for a large scale implementation and wish to know the following:
    1. What are the possibilities available to integrate the functionality offered by Lightstreamer data adapter with CMS like OpenCMS, Drupal etc., (i-e) if there are any free distribution of contributed modules or code already written and available for generic implementation.
    2. I wish to provide the data feed from PHP to the Lightstreamer data adapter. Currently the API docs available in your site only have examples of such implementation in Java and .NET. Hence it would be great if you could provide more information or documentation of the feasibility of such implementation.

Thanks!

Administrator
    Hi pganeshkumar,

1. We have no news of any available implementations to integrate Lightstreamer adapter with the CMS you mentioned. However, if you can explain a little more about your needs then we could help you better.
    2. Data Adapter can also communicate with the Lightstreamer Server via plain TCP sockets, so it is possible to inject real-time updates into Lightstreamer Server from programs written in C, PHP, Python, ... .
    Please refer to this tutorial and these specifications for more info about ARI protocol.

Hope that helps,
    Giuseppe

Hi Giuseppe,

Very much thanks for your quick reply!! My goal is whenever i give some input to my application (which will be in PHP), i have to pass the data to lightstreamer and then it will be listened by some client which is developed using simple java script.

1. The integration of my datafeed application which in PHP to the lightstreamer server would be the challenge for me. So could you please provide whatever possible ways to integrate a PHP web application as a data feed to light streamer server.

2. As you mentioned below, is the TCP sockets are the only possible way to communicate from an datafeed application in PHP or can we do it in any other way like writing an webservice for datafeed which will communicate with data adapter written in java. Please provide some more details on it. So i can think over on other possible ways to achieve my above goal.

Thanks!

Administrator
    Hi pganeshkumar,

You have several different solutions .

If you decide to go deeper into the PHP-plain socket choice please take a look here for an example of data feed in PHP.

On the other hand you can certainly also make a Java adpater that calls a Web Server to retrieve the data to inject into Lightstreamer. Although it would not be the ideal solution because you would have a poll and not a full real-time push.

Hi Giuseppe,

Thanks for your inputs! Please provide your idea about below approach:

1. I have planned to use JMS in between the PHP and java adapater in the Light Streamer. So i can push the data at anytime from the PHP to Light Streamer right?
    Please give your input on this. Whether it could be a feasible solution or any other drawbacks are there?

Thanks in Advance!!

Administrator
    Hi pganeshkumar,

The use of JMS to inject data into Lightstreamer is definitely a good idea. Please take a look at StockListDemo_JMS_DataAdapter that you can find in your Lightstreamer download (<LS_HOME> \ DOCS-SDKs \ sdk_adapter_java \ examples \ StockListDemo_JMS_DataAdapter).

This example shows a Java Data Adapter that consumes events from JMS and injects them into the Lightstreamer Kernel in order to feed the Stock-List demo.

Hope that helps.