Integration scenario

Hi guys,

First of all, Congratulations! The projet seems quite good.

Now, I'm evaluation this project as an option to be included in a trading application, the impact and consequences, performance, etc. The first point I am looking at is integration with our infrastructure and possible client infrastructure. So I have some doubts that aren't really exclusion facts for lightstreamer but that I'm quite interested to know for seeing how many options we have to sell this to final customers or to negotiate with them.

So, my first concern, and please correct me if I'm missing the point, is the need of two open ports. This is, one for the lightstreamer server and another one for a normal http server. The first one will serve the streamed content and the second one will server regular html content. Banks are normally reluctant to open ports to the wild west so correct me if I'm wrong.

Second question related with the first one. Imagine that a bank is so strict that forces you to go through their Apache/IIS systems. Is that possible with your solution? Doesn't that break all the advantages of NIO and socket/thread multiplexors?

Kind Regards,
    Martin

Administrator
    Hi Martin,

Thanks.

Lightstreamer Server and the Web Server (e.g. Apache or IIS) are usually deployed on different machines, with different addresses, but on the same ports; for example:
    - www.bank-name.com - port 80 (or 443) --> web server
    - push.bank-name.com - port 80 (or 443) --> lightstreamer server

This means that the browser just performs very normal connections on very normal ports. Nothing needs to be changed in the firewall configurations on both the client and the server side.

Lightstreamer Server is seen as a normal Web server by the network infrastructure. As you can see in the second architecture diagram on this page (http://www.lightstreamer.com/architecture.htm) the browser should connect directly to both the Web Server and Lightstreamer Server, so that LS Server can have direct control over bandwidth and network congestions, besides offering great connection scalability.

In our experience, this architectural scenario has always been well accepted by banks and financial institutions.

Cheers