Quote Originally Posted by DarioCrivelli
May you please expand on this?
What exactly couldn't you do?
Dario
I've spent some more time on this since posting my original question. I could not get both adapters to work at the same time. I'm running on a Windows platform. I'm using remote adapters executing inside my own application i.e. I'm using just the .NET dll, not the .EXE and .DLL together.

What I did was this: originally I just had one adapter, listening on ports 6661, 6662 and 6663. This adapter was set up by creating a sub-directory of the LS\adapters directory which contains an "adapters.xml" file, configured to set the name of the data and metadata adapters and the ports as above. It also contains a directory called "lib" which in turn contains just the "ls-proxy-adapters.jar" file. This has always worked correctly.

I tried to add a second adapter by creating a second subdirectory of the LS\adapters directory, with exactly the same contents as for my first one. This time the adapters.xml was set to give the data and metadata adapters new unique ID and names and to use ports 7661, 7662, 7663. So, names and ports completely different for the two adapters.

If I start Lightstreamer with just one adapter subdirectory and then use "netstat -a" from a command prompt I can see that there is a listening socket on port 6663 or 7663 depending on which one of my two adapters I've left in place. Whichever one it is I can connect to it from my application with the remote adapter code.

When I start the Lightstreamer server with the 2 adapters set up as I just described it does in fact start correctly. However, if I then use netstat again there is only ever one listening socket on either port 6663 or 7663. Which port I get depends on the exact names of the adapter subdirectorys. Originally my one and only adapter directory had a name starting with "I". When I added my second one this had a name starting with "D" i.e lower in the alphabet. This is the one using port 7663 and in this case this is the listening port that I see. If I change my second adapter to have a named starting with "Z" then the listening port is 6663 i.e. the one from the original adapter with name that is now lower in the alphabet.

Have I misunderstood how this is supposed to work? The documentation that comes with Lighstreamer server does not describe how to set up more than one adapter at time, though it does suggest that it can be done.